Saturday, August 9, 2008

No more Tonsils

On Thursday morning Alicia had her tonsils out. She was fine while we all waited for her turn. She colored, watched TV, and drew a face on a doll that was given to her. She bravely got onto the gurney and was wheeled away to another room. I was surprised that we weren't allowed to be with her when they put her under.

They explained to us that they would have her breathe into a mask to give her the anesthesia, and she would be out before they put in the IV, and started the surgery. They said the surgery would only take 20 minutes or so. Then she would be taken to the PACU (post ansethesia care unit) to be monitored until she woke up. (I wouldn't be with her when she first woke up...grrr). Then she would be brought to us in a post-op room.
When she was brought to us, she looked MISERABLE. Her eyes were RED. She had obviously been crying when she was trying to wake up from the anesthesia. But when she got to us, she was quiet. We had to coax her to take a drink of water. She wouldn't even consider eating the orange popsicle the nurses brought. Then she requested a blue one, and a nurse was really nice and found one for her. It took some time, but she finally ate the top part of the popsicle. Then the nurse was able to give her some pain medication.
She looked and felt awful for a few hours after we got home, but then perked up enough to eat a popsicle, and go outside to visit with her friends. I was really surprised, but happy to see her feeling better.
For the last couple of mornings she has had a terrible sore throat all over again. It takes until the late afternoon for her to act more normal--eating and getting up to play. Late yesterday she wanted cheese pizza. Today I was sent out to get chicken nuggets from Wendys. (Why did I buy popsicles, jello, pudding, ice cream, noodles, etc?)
My favorite part is that she resists doing the things that would help her feel better. Especially taking her medicine. I start out nice explaining how the medicine will help, but she won't budge. It is a fight EVERY time. I make her in charge of taking the dose herself, and I give her a time limit. And I have to turn off the TV--so she is not distracted from her duty. She does better with Travis...she will eat for him, take medicine for him, anything. It is making me crazy.
I am just glad we are getting this done now, before school starts. And I hope it her throat will heal quickly.

No comments: